When I was a kid, I used to be pretty excited about my birthdays. Of course, the birthday party culture was abandoned along the way but the excitement never died. I
had have a thing for new stuff and hence all the new dress, accessories and gifts would fill me with adrenaline. I remember arranging everything I would wear or use on my birthday the previous night itself. New dress, check. Matching accessories, check. Chocolates to be distributed, check. School/college bag packed, check. Yeah, I was doing it even when I was in college, only that friends at college made it a whole different experience.
Up until school, your birthday doesn’t start until you get up in the morning. But college sure was different. At 12 midnight prompt, your friends would
wake you up and make you cut the gorgeous cake they had smuggled into the hostel without your knowledge. And then use 90% of the cake to give you a facial. The rest 10% would happily rest in our tummies. I even got a sprite shower once along with the chocolate cake facial. Then comes the birthday bumps, ragging, chatting, pulling each others’ legs, the gifts and thank yous and by the time we would finally go to bed, it would already be the time we would have to get up.
As time flew by, all this became a frozen past and I started getting used to it. After all, I was never a party person (Am still not). But this once a year occasion was what I called a dose of excitement that I can’t help. Now 4 years after graduating from college and leaving my immaturity behind, birthdays don’t matter much any more. Yeah, we take a break and have a nice day/vacation. At the end of the day, I feel as happy and peaceful I feel on any good day with hubby. Guess that’s what happens when you are so contently in love.
Anyway, my point is the personal adrenaline rush is gone. Before I used to have that rush even when my birthday fell on a holiday and the chances of celebrating it with friends were bleak. The feeling is different now. For the past few years, I have formed a tradition. Dress up, visit a temple (solely for parents’ sake), do a deed which equates visiting a temple in my dictionary, like putting a smile on someone’s face. I would at least make a decision and execute it if I am not able to do anything on that exact day. (This year, I am still thinking on what I can do to make a difference in someone’s life. Suggestions are welcome.) With that, hubby will plan an outing for us to spend some quality time and it will be bliss.
So I guess the little girl has grown up. Still a child at heart, but maturity creeps in no matter what. At least a little at a time. And I feel that little dose is necessary. I still jump up at the sight of a bubble wrap and set about popping it immediately. But that shouldn’t stop me from becoming a little more responsible. And being responsible/mature shouldn’t stop me from being the kid I am. I feel I can co-exist on both levels contently. 🙂 After all, what’s the point in being mature if you can’t be childish sometimes?
Until later 🙂